Sunday, February 1, 2009

Beware! Crocheting is dangerous!

And this is why....



Does that not strike fear into your heart? No? You're brave.

That monster of a cat is named Tailey...

She's normally such a sweet and innocent kitty. But the second I get out my hook and yarn her evil side comes out. I swear up and down she has ESP (extra sensory perception) and knows the exact minute I pick up whatever project I'm working on because pretty soon 2 little black ears are seen poking over the edge of the couch cushion and I immediately become afraid for my life. I have to be careful not to look over the edge (^as I very bravely did to take the above picture^) as I have learned from experience. It's like I see my life flash before my eyes when I have 8 pounds of black furry fury and shiny nails soaring through the air in my general direction...

It's inevitable though... before I know it, I have a paw full of kitty claws sunk deep into my ankle and/or calf muscle...

I have tried sitting with my legs under me with a pillow on my lap but that doesn't work. It's usually too hot in my house to want a blanket and a crochet project on top of me... and it's hard to hold my hands out away from me because it messes with my tension and makes my shoulders sore.

So I suppose I will have to invent something to protect myself with. Crocheted armor perhaps? Any ideas?



I feel like I should mention that Tailey isn't alone in her evilness. This is her brother, aptly named Yetti because of his size and fluffiness and coincidental (or not?) Sasquatch-like looks. He is her partner in crime when it comes to making my crocheting experience a painful one. He's been known to sink a tooth in my thigh before but he is usually only biting into my scarf or pot holder that I'm making at the moment.

I still love them though no matter how much they hurt me.

How could I not?????? =)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,

    You are welcome to use any photos or any text from my blog as you wish. I think its a cool project. I'm not sure I'm the expert, as I don't show or compete, but I do see that today's mules come from such better quality stock than they used to--it makes a difference.

    The little guy jumping on and off the trailer...he is from the best Missouri Jack genetics you can find and a Dash for Cash Mare. He is SO willing, and SO respectful, and SO sensitive to pressure (which some mules aren't), that I can hardly wait until he is under saddle. I have another young mule that I have to coax into those kind of situations. But him? Think 'go' and he's there right now, he is so soft and compliant.

    The smaller "minnie pearl" that my daughter rides is FAST--she will beat our mustangs in a race. Surprising for a mule? She is an accident--no one knows how her pony mom got knocked up.

    Show me what you got as you go and I will help you find things or point you to other experts, or add my own experiences.

    In my opinion, one of the problems that has led to some of the current mule prejudice is that breeding them was an afterthought for a long time. Mammoth Jackstock almost went extinct after the car came along--George Washington did a lot of work to develop the breed originally. But for many years, mules came from junk jackstock and second quality mares (why waste a good mare on making mules?)

    So here's a quote you can use...
    "Q. How do you improve Dash For Cash genetics?"
    "A. Molest her with the finest JackAss you can find."

    All your barrel racing friends will crap their pants. Ha Ha.

    Or this...

    "Q. Where does the mule get its rather rude outlook on life?"
    "A. Its from the emotional trauma he suffered when he learned how his mother was violated by his father, the Jack"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Keep me in the loop.

    ReplyDelete