Sunday, August 22, 2010

What a pane in the glass!




Just kidding! I'm actually really excited about this one. Last summer I "acquired" a window while my best friend and I were snooping around in an old abandoned farm house here on the Palouse. Since then I have been trying to think of what to do with it. It is naturally weathered from years and years of wind, rain, snow and sun and has that really neat old look that I would like to try to keep.



At first I was thinking of cleaning up the glass and painting something on the panes. But after looking at pictures on Google images of artwork that other have done on glass I decided that I wasn't really into that very much for this project because I didn't think I would get the desired old & rustic effect.



My second idea was to take the glass out and replace it with 1/8" wooden inserts that I would paint on. The only problem I had with that was that it might make the window look a little 2 dimensional and not show it off like I feel it should be. My mom actually has a window frame that a friend of hers did for her with the wooden inserts and, while beautiful, it's just a little too flat looking for what I wanted. It is very folk-artsy and has that Americana look to it and I do really like it. I just didn't really know if that's what I wanted to do with my window.



But lacking any better ideas at the time I bought the acrylic paint, brushes and wooden inserts. I sat down today to start working on it but while drawing out what I wanted to paint on a piece of paper I got a better idea! Since I am planning on making a bunch of jewelry in the near future I thought it would be really neat to make my window frame into a jewelry display to hang on my wall!



But not just jewelry... The way I see it in my head I could put pictures and other memorabilia on it as well! I am thinking I will make a shadowbox in 2 of the panes, put some chicken wire in another one to hang earrings or whatever else on, and put my one wooden insert that I did paint in the other. Maybe some fabric somewhere? Who knows??? All I know is that I am stoked to finally put my neat old window to use!


1 comment: